PSYCHOMETRIC VALIDATION OF THE BAHASA MALAYSIA VERSION OF THE EORTC QLQ-C30 IN MALAYSIAN COLORECTAL CANCER PATIENTS
This study aimed to assess the validity and reliability of the Bahasa Malaysia (BM) version of European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Quality of Life Questionnaire core (QLQ-C30) (version 3.0) in Malaysian patients with colorectal cancer. A cross sectional study design was used to obtain data from patients receiving treatment at two teaching hospitals in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Self-administered method was used. Statistical analysis included reliability, convergent and discriminant validity and known-groups comparisons. Statistical significance was based on p value ≤ 0.05. The internal consistency Cronbach’s alpha coefficient (α) was acceptable (> 0.70) in all scales but cognitive (α = 0.56) and pain in patients with stoma bag (α = 0.35). Test-retest coefficients were high (r = 0.93 to 1.00). All items showed adequate convergent validity (r > 0.40) except for questionnaire item 5 “needs help in eating/dressing/washing”. Similarly, criteria for discriminant validity were achieved in all but item 10 “need rest”. Patients with high Karnofsky Performance Scores (KPS) scores reported significantly less dyspnoea (p = 0.021) and appetite loss (p = 0.047) compared to patients with low KPS scores. There was no significant difference between patients with and without stomas. The psychometric properties of the BM version of the QLQ-C30 were comparable to previous studies in other settings. Therefore, the questionnaire could be used to measure quality of life in Malaysian patients with colorectal cancer.
2. Arraras Urdaniz JI, Villafranca Iturre E, Arias de la Vega F, et al. The eortc quality of life questionnaire QLQ-C30 (version 3.0). Validation study for Spanish prostate cancer patients. Arch Esp Urol. 2008; 61: 949-54
3. Cheng JX, Liu BL, Zhang X, et al. The validation of the standard chinese version of the european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life core questionnaire 30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) in pre-operative patients with brain tumor in China. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2011; 11: 56
4. Guzelant A, Goksel T, Ozkok S, et al. The european organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: an examination into the cultural validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer Care. 2004; 13: 135-44
5. Jayasekara H, Rajapaksa LC, Aaronson NK. Quality of life in cancer patients in South Asia: psychometric properties of the Sinhala version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 in cancer patients with heterogeneous diagnoses. Qual Life Res. 2008;17(5): 783-91
6. Lee, E. H., Chun, M., Wang, H, et al. Multidimensional constructs of the EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-C30) in Korean cancer patients with heterogeneous diagnoses. Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 37(3): 148-56.
7. Yusoff N, Low WY, & Yip CH. The Malay version of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC-QLQ C30): realibility and validity study. International Medical Journal Malaysia. 2010; 9(2): 45-50.
8. Huang, C. C., Lien, H. H., Sung, Y. C, et al. Quality of life of patients with gastric cancer in Taiwan: validation and clinical application of the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and EORTC QLQ-STO22. Psychooncology. 2007; 16(10): 945-9.
9. Perwitasari, D. A., Atthobari, J., Dwiprahasto, I, et al. Translation and Validation of EORTC QLQ-C30 into Indonesian Version for Cancer Patients in Indonesia. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011; 41(4): 519-29.
10. Luo, N., Fones, C. S. L., Lim, S. E, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): Validation of English version in Singapore. Qual Life Res. 2015; 14(4): 1181-6.
11. Yahaya DD, Yoong CC, Sulaiman DD, et al (2011). Annual report 2008 Kuala Lumpur: Ministry Of Health Malaysia
12. Magaji, B. A., Moy F.M., Law, C.W, et al. Health-related quality of life among colorectal cancer patients in Malaysia: A study protocol. BMC Cancer. 2012; 384.
13. Magaji, B. A., Moy F.M., Roslani A.C, et al. Psychometric Validation of the Malaysian Chinese Version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 in Colorectal Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16 (18), 8107-12
14. Magaji, B. A., Moy F.M., Roslani A.C, et al. Psychometric Validation of the Bahasa Malaysia Version of the EORTC QLQ-CR29. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16 (18), 8101-5.
15. Uwer, L., Rotonda, C., Guillemin, F, et al. Responsiveness of EORTC QLQ-C30, QLQ-CR38 and FACT-C quality of life questionnaires in patients with colorectal cancer. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2011; 9: 70.
16. Hoopman, R., Muller, M. J., Terwee, C. B, et al. Translation and validation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 for use among Turkish and Moroccan ethnic minority cancer patients in the Netherlands. Eur J Cancer.2006; 42(12): 1839-47.
17. Pachler, J., & Wille-Jorgensen, P. Quality of life after rectal resection for cancer, with or without permanent colostomy. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev. 2012;12: CD004323.