PREVALENCE OF PREMATURE EJACULATION AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND THEIR ASSOCIATED FACTORS AMONG URBAN AND RURAL POPULATION OF MALAYSIA
The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence and factors associated with of Premature Ejaculation &Erectile Dysfunctionamong Malaysian men. A cross-sectional study was conducted in urban and rural areas using standardized and validated self-administered questionnaires. A total of 319 samples were recruited for PE screening. The overall prevalence of PE was 31.7% with 20.7% and 40.8% for urban and rural area respectively. Depression, anxiety and frequent masturbation were significantly associated with PE. While For ED, infrequent sexual intercourse was the sole factor significantly associated with ED.PE and ED were highly prevalent in both urban and rural areas; with several significant preventable associated factors.
2. Saigal CS. and Wilt TJ. Predictors and Prevalence of Erectile Dysfunction in A Racially Diverse Population. Arch Intern Med. 2006. Vol 166; 207- 212.
3. Khoo EM, Tan HM, Low WY. Erectile Dysfunction and Co-morbidities in Aging Men: An Urban Cross- Sectional Study in Malaysia. J Sex Med. 2008. 5 (12): 2925-34.
4. Hatta S, SyarifahEzat WA. Is it necessary to ask about erectile dysfunction symptoms in hypertensive patients? A cross sectional study on outpatients attending UKMMC, Malaysia.unpublished.2009.
5. Tan, JK, Hong CY, Png DJC, Liew LCH and Wong WL. Erectile Dysfunction in Singapore: Prevalence and Its Associated Factors – A Population- Based Study. Singapore Med J .2003.Vol 44 (1): 020 – 026.
6. Laumann EO, Paik A. and Rosen RC. 1999. Sexual Dysfunction in the United States: Prevalence & Predictors. JAMA. Vol 281; No 6.
7. Althof SE. Prevalence, Characteristics and Implication of Premature Ejaculation / Rapid Ejaculation. Journal of Urology. 2006. Volume 175: 842-848.
8. Laumann EO, Nicolosi A, Paik A, Gingell C, Moreira E and Wang T. Sexual Problem Among Women & Men aged 40 – 80: Prevalence & Correlates Identified in the Global Study of Sexual Attitudes && Behaviors. Int J Impot Res. 2005. Vol 17: 39 – 57.
9. Porst H, Montorsi F, Rosen RC, Gaynor L, Grupe S and Alexander J. The Premature Ejaculation Prevalence and Attitudes (PEPA) Survey: Prevalence, Co-morbidities and Professional Helping-Seeking. European Association of Urology. 2007. Vol 51; 816-824.
10. Anon. Prelimery data from Asian-Premature Ejaculation Prevalence and attitudes (AP PEPA). Media Release: Urology World Congress. 2009.
11. Park HJ, Park JK, Park KS, Lee SW, Kim SW, Yang DY, Moon DG, Min KS, Moon KH, Yang SK, Hyun JS and Park NC. Prevalence of Premature Ejaculation in Young and Middled-aged Korean: a multicentere internet-based survey from Korean Andrological Society. Asian Journal of Andrology .2010. Vol 10: 123-126.
12. Lau JT F, Yang X, Cheng Y and Wang Q. Co- occurrence of sexual dysfunction within young married couple dyads living in rural China: a
population-based study. International Journal of Impotence Research. 2006. Vol 18: 150–159.
13. Kongkanand A. A Prevalence of Erectile Dysfunction in Thailand. International JAndrol. 2000. Vol 23 Supplement 2: 77 – 80.
14. World Health Organization. 1969. WHO Expert Committee on Drug Dependence. Sixteenth report. (Technical report series. No. 407) Geneva.
15. Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzischristou DG, Krane RJ and McKinlay JB. Impotence & Its Medical and Psychological Correlates: Result of Massachussets Male Aging Study. J Urol. 1994. Vol 151: 54-61.
16. Kantor J, Bilker WB, Glasser DB and MargollsDJ. Prevelence of Erectile Dysfunction and Active Depression: An Analytic Cross-Sectional Study of General Medical Patients. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2002. Vol 156: 1035-42.
17. Braun M, Wassmer G, Reifenrath B, Clotz T, Mathers M and Uglemann U. Epidemiology of ED: Result of the Cologne Male Survey. Int J Impotence Research. 2000. 12:305-11.
18. Anon. Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder. American Psychiatric Association. 2000.
19. Screponi E, Carosa E, Di Stasi SM, Pepe M, Carruba G and Jannini EA. Prevalence of Chronic Prostatitis in Men with Premature Ejaculation. Urology. 2001. Vol 58: 198-202.
20. El-Sakka AI. Premature Ejaculation in Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetic Patients. International Journal Andrology. 2003. Vol 26: 329-34.
21. Mulligan T, Retchin SM, Chincilli VM. and Bettinger CB. The Role of Aging and Chronic Disease in Sexual Dysfunction. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 1988. Vol 36: 520-524.
22. Anon. Consensus Statement for Impotence. National Institute of Health. 1992. Volume 10 (4): 1 – 33.
23. Masters W, Johnson V. Premature Ejaculation. In: Masters W, Johnson V, editors. Human Sexual Inadequacy. Boston MA: Little Brown & Co. 1970.
24. Low WY, Wong YL, Zulkifli SN and Tan HM. Malaysian Cultural differences in Knowledge, Attitudes & Practices Related to Erectile Dysfunction: Focus Group Discussion. International Journal of impotence Research. 2002. Vol 14; 440- 445.
25. Anon. Causes of Erectile Dysfunction. Urology Channel Website. 2005. http://www.urologychannel.com/erectiledysfuncti on/. [Retrieved on 12 Sept 2010].
26. Symonds T, Perelman MA, Althof S, Guliano F, Martin M, May K, Abraham L, Crossland A and Morris M. Development and Validation of a Premature Ejaculation Diagnostic Tool. European Urology. 2007. Vol 52 : 565 – 573.
27. Rosen RC, Cappelleri JC, Smith MD, Lipsky J, Pena B. Constructing and evaluating the Sexual Health Inventory for Men: IIEF-5 as a diagnostic tool for Erectile Dysfunction. 1998. Paper presented at the VIII World Meeting on Impotence Research, Amsterdam, 1998.
28. Rhoden EL, Telöken C, Sogari PR and Vargas SoutoCA.The use of the simplified International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) as a diagnostic tool to study the prevalence of erectile dysfunction. International Journal of Impotence Research. 2002. Vol 14; 245-25.
29. Lovibond PH. and Lovibond, SH. Manual for Depression Anxiety Stress Scales. Sydney Psychology Foundation. 1995. Vol 25: 120-22.
30. De Berardis G, Franciosi M, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Pellegrini F, Sacco M, Tognoi G, Valentini M, Nicolucci A. Erectile Dysfunction and Quality of Life in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Care. 2002. Vol 25: 284-291.
31. Mohd Ihsani Mahmood, Idayu Badilla Idris, Rosnah Sutan, Hasanain Faisal Ghazi, Rozita Hod & Hanizah Mohd. Yusof. Engaging men in health services: are we ignorant? Malaysian Journal of Public Health Medicine 2014, Vol. 14 (2): 99-104