HIV PREVALENCE AMONG ANTENATAL MOTHERS IN TERENGGANU
National Antenatal HIV Screening Programme has been integrated as a routine screening in antenatal care in early 1998 and in Terengganu since May 1998 involving all health centers in the state. As of December 2001, a total number of 57,882 antenatal mothers were screened (97.5% of all new antenatal mothers). The HIV prevalence rate among antenatal mothers was found to be 0.052%. All HIV positive mothers were married and majority were Malays (93.3%). Ninety percents of them revealed that the only risk factor for HIV was through sexual contact. HIV positive status was confirrned in 66 .7% of the husbands. All twenty eight mothers that managed to be followed up delivered to live birth babies. All newborns reported to have good Apgar score (9 at 5 minutes of life). Mean birth weight was 3 .08 kilograms Â± 0.45 and only 8% were premature babies. The observed rate of HIV vertical transmission was 6.25% and this is lower than the expected mother to child transmission rate of 30% without intervention.
2. Ministry of Health of Malaysia, Guideline : HIV Screening for Antenatal Mothers. 1998.
3. AIDS Action Committee, Ministry of Health of Malaysia. First National Consensus Guideline on Antiretroviral Therapy. October 1998.
4. Ministry of Health of Malaysia. Report on Antenatal HIV Screening Programme. 2001, unpublished.
5. Jabatan Kesihatan Negeri Terengganu. Laporan T ahunan. 1997.
6. Ministry of Health of Malaysia. Consensus Report on ST!, HIV & AIDS Epidemiology Malaysia. April 2001.
7. Japaraj RP, Sivalingam N. The Prevalence of HIV positive Antenatal Mothers in a Routine Screening Programme in Two State. Med] Malaysia 2001; 56: 2: 180-185.
8. Brocklehust P, French R. The Association between Maternal HIV Infection and Perinatal Outcome: a Systematic Review of the Literature and Meta, · analysis. Br J Obstet Gynaeco11998; 105 : 836-48.
9. Ministry of Health of Malaysia. Antenatal HIV Screening Programme in Health Clinic 1998 -1999. Malaysia's Health 2000.
10. World Health Organization. HIV in Pregnancy: A Review. 1999: AIDS/STD Prevention and Control Unit, Terengganu State Health Department.