TAHAP PENGETAHUAN DAN AMALAN PEMERIKSAAN SENDIRI PAYUDARA DI KALANGAN WANITA BERUMUR 20-60 TAHUN YANG HADIR DI JABATAN PESAKIT LUAR KUANTAN.
Keywords:Breast self-examination, breast cancer, Kuantan
The National Health Morbidity Survey 1996 showed only 34.2% of women aged 20 years and above had done breast self examination (BSE). This data showed the practice of BSE is still low despite of various awareness programmes and activities earned out. A cross sectional study through Systematic Random Sampling was done at Out Patient Department, Kuantan Health Office to know the knowledge and practice of BSE among women aged 20-60 years. The results showed 94. 9% respondents had received information about BSE, however only 31.6% knew the apj,ropriate time to do BSE, 14.7% knew the purpose of doing at that time and only 29 .9% knew how frequent they should do BSE. 74% of respondents did BSE, however 70.2% of them did not do monthly and 67 .2% did not do at the suggested time. There was an association between the practice of BSE with the knowledge and sociodemographic characteristics i.e. educational level, income, ethnic group and marital status.
2. Ainix On Line Medicine. 1997, 1998. Accessed at: http:members.tripod.com/-ukleeds
3. Ghee LK. A Review Of Diseases In Malaysia. Pelanduk Publication, 1995.
4. Jamilah J. Wanita clan Masalah Kesihatan. Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka. 1998.
5. Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia. Pelan Tindakan Kempen Cara Hidup Sihat, 1995.
6. Institute Of Public Health, Ministry Of Health Malaysia. National Health and Morbidity Survey 1996, 1997.