EVOLUTION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF CORPORATE CULTURE IN THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH
Corporate culture can simply be defined as "The way we do things around here". It comprise of assumptions, values, norms and tangible signs. Ministry of Health has started its culture building in 1991. Prior to this study, there have been two studies to evaluate its implementation. There were two types of respondents, where self-administered questionnaires were sent to all head of departments and all U3 medical officers in public services in Malaysia. About 50% (n=126) of head of departments and only 18% (n=1321) of medical officers responded. The study shows that at least 83% of head of departments perceived that the three core value of corporate culture has been implemented in their departments. However for rites and rituals, less than half of them have implemented it. Singing of co17Jorate song is done more in hospital as compared to health. As for medical officer, only 28% of them have received training on corporate culture. Among those who have received training, only a quarter understood the meaning of corporate culture. Doctors were also asked to give opinion on how to generate a caring doctor. About one-third suggested to reduce the workload of doctors. Apart from increasing manpower, workload can also be reduced by reengineering the system and upgrading the doctors' competency.
2. Kotter, JP., Heskett, JL. Corporate Culture and Pe1formance. The Free Press, 1992
3. Peters, TJ., Waterman, B. In Search of Excellence. Harper & Row, 1982.
4. Atchison, TA. What is corporate Culture. Trustee. 2002; 55 (4): 11-12.
5. HruTison R, Stokes H. 1992. Diagnosing Organizational Culture. Pfeiffer.
6. Rondeau, KV., Wagar TH. Hospital choices in times of outback : the role of organizational culture. Leadership in Health Services. 1999; 12 (3): 1-7.
7. Brooks, I. Using ritual to reduce barriers between subcultures. Journal of management in medicine 1996 ; 10 (3): 23-30
8. Institute of Public Health. The work behaviour of Ministry of health personals, Anonymous .. 1995
9. Institute of Public Health. Inculcating positive work value among Ministry of Health personals, Anonymous. 1997