TINJAUAN WABAK PENYAKIT TANGAN, KAKI DAN MULUT (HFMD) DI DAERAH HULU LANGAT, 2000
The aim of this study is to describe the epidemiological features of HFMD outbreak in the Hulu Langat District in 2000. Until November 2000, a total of 60 cases were reported and the worst ever reported to the previous years. The mean age of patients was 3.9 ± 5.8 years with majority of the cases aged between 1 to 4 years old (53.8 per 100,000 of population), male gender (8.3 per 100,000 of populations), and were of Chinese ( 12.2 per 100,000 of populations) and Malay ethnicity (7.2 per 100.000 of populations). All cases were uncomplicated cases and were diagnosed clinically. Most of the notified cases were from the government facilities, which are 44 cases (73.3%). Thirty five (35) cases (58.4%) were treated as out patient and 25 cases (41.6%) as in patients (p>0.05). Only 7 cases (11.7%) have history of contact with HFMD patients. The notified cases were mainly from the densely populated areas which were Cheras, Kajang and Ampang. No differences were noted between HFMD cases which have been breastfed for less than 6 month or more, and twenty nine (29) cases (48.3%) had completed the immunization schedule. In conclusion, the recent emergence of HFMD brings a new challenge, which have to be faced in the prevention and surveillance activities of public health problems in the district.
2. Ministry of Health, Malaysia. Disease Control Division, Department of Public Health. Annual Report, 1997.
3. Abram SB. Control of communicable diseases in man. Sixteenth edition. American Public Health Association: Washington, DC. 1995
4. William SR. Basic nutrition and diet therapy. Tenth edition. Mosby-Year Book Inc: St. Louis, Missouri, 1995.
5. Hensen JDL, Pettifor IM, Labadarios D, Mave H, Pentz M. Infant and child nutrition. In Kibel MA & Wagstaff LA (eds). Child health for all: A manual for southern Africa, Cape Town. Oxpford University Press, 1995
6. Ministry of Health, Malaysia. Disinfection and sterilization policy and practice. Second edition. 1990